Ref. # 81618
A Pennsylvania woman was admitted to a psychiatric facility, where she was receiving counseling and pharmacological treatment for alcohol abuse and depression. Six days later the patient, who was medicated, was sitting in a common dining area, when a maintenance worker began mopping the floors. Unaware of this activity and the "Wet Floor" signs that had been placed, the patient slipped and fell on the wet floor. A medQuest hospital administrator reported that the hospital negligently failed to provide a safe environment for the patient. Before mopping, the maintenance worker should have asked the patient to leave the room or requested a nurse move the patient. Furthermore, the worker was mopping up a spill from the washing machine, which was a potential chemical hazard.